Preferred Home Inspections’ Don Martin is ACI – ASHI Certified. His certification is the highest level of certification designated by The American Society of Home Inspectors ® (ASHI). ASHI Certified Inspectors are the only true third party certified inspectors in the industry that are accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies.
Your home inspection will be handled with professionalism and level of detail consistent with the premier association in the home inspection industry.
ASHI is a non-profit professional organization for home inspectors that establishes and advocates high standards of practice and a strict code of ethics. The ASHI Standards of Practice are recognized as the authoritative standard for home inspection, and are part of many pieces of state legislation.
Standards of Practice
The ASHI Standards of Practice establishes a minimum standard for home inspections that include all aspects of inspecting a home. The inspector must inspect all readily accessible, visually observable, installed systems and components for:
- Structural Components
- Roof System
- Plumbing System
- Electrical System
- Heating System
- Air Conditioning Systems
- Insulation and Ventilation
- Fireplaces and Solid Fuel Burning Appliances
The inspector must provide a written report that states:
- Systems and components that ae not functioning properly, significantly deficient, unsafe, or near the end of their service lives
- Recommendations for correction or to monitor for future correction
- Explanation for the deficiencies that are not self-evident
- Any systems and components that were present at the time of the inspection but not inspected, and the reason why they were not inspected
The inspector must also agree to abide by the ASHI Code of Ethics for the home inspection profession. The Code of Ethics forbids home inspectors from active brokerage or sale of real estate, or performing repairs on the homes that he or she inspects. They perform and report inspections in accordance with the ASHI Standard of Practice.
See the ASHI Website for more information about the standards and the American Society of Home Inspectors.